Washington, D.C., ada ana kiranta da District of Columbia anfi saninta da Washington ko D.C., itace Babban Brinin kasar Tarayyar Amurka. Ankirkire ta bayan American Revolution amatsayin fadar gwamnatin sabuwar, sunan Washington ansa sane bayan sunan George Washington, Shugaban Farko Na Tarayyar Amurka kuma Wadanda suka Kafa Tarayyar Amurka. Amatsayin ta na fadar Gwamnatin Tarayyar Amurka da kuma ma'aikatu na duniya da dama, Washington nada muhimmanci a world political capital. Birnin na daya daga cikin mafi yawan ziyarta a duniya, fiye da mutane (masu yawon bude ido) niliyan 20 ne ke ziyartar birnin a duk shekara.
|Sovereign state||Tarayyar Amurka|
|Territory of the United States||District of Columbia (en)|
|babban birni||Washington DC|
|Head of government||Muriel Bowser (en)|
|Official name||Washington, District of Columbia|
|Borders with||Arlington County (en) , Alexandria (en) , Prince George's County (en) , Montgomery County (en) , Fairfax County (en) , Bethesda (en) da Silver Spring (en)|
|Population||705,749 inhabitants (ga Yuli, 1, 2019)|
|Time Zone||Eastern Time Zone (en) , UTC−05:00 (en) , UTC−04:00 (en) da America/New_York (en)|
|Sister cities||Brussels metropolitan area (en) , Bangkok, Dakar, Beijing, Athens, Pretoria, Seoul, Accra, Sunderland (en) , Ankara, Brasilia, Addis Ababa, Faris, Roma, San Salvador (en) , Brussels (en) , La Paz (en) , Oslo da New Delhi|
Sa hannun da akayi na Residence Act a July 16, 1790 ita ta bmince da kafa capital district yakasance a Potomac River a gabar kasar na East Coast. Kundin Tsarin mulkinn kassr yasamar da federal district a karkashin exclusive jurisdiction na U.S. Congress, da kuma cewar District din kafa yakasance bangaren kowace jiha. The states of Maryland and Virginia each donated land to form the federal district, which included the pre-existing settlements of Georgetown and Alexandria. The City of Washington was founded in 1791 to serve as the new national capital. In 1846, Congress returned the land originally ceded by Virginia; in 1871, it created a single municipal government for the remaining portion of the District.
Washington nada yawan Mutane da aka kiyasta kusan 702,455 as of 2018[update], making it the 20th most-populous city in the United States. Commuters from the surrounding Maryland and Virginia suburbs raise the city's daytime population to more than one million during the workweek. The Washington metropolitan area, of which the District is the principal city, had a 2017 estimated population of 6,216,589, the sixth-largest metropolitan statistical area in the nation.
Dukkanin rassa uku na Gwamnatin Amurka nada cibiyoyinsu ne a the District: congress (legislative), president (executive), and the U.S. Supreme Court (judicial). Washington is home to many national monuments and museums, primarily situated on or around the National Mall. The city hosts 177 foreign embassies as well as the headquarters of many international organizations, trade unions, non-profit, lobbying groups, and professional associations, including the World Bank Group, the International Monetary Fund (IMF), the Organization of American States, AARP, the National Geographic Society, the Human Rights Campaign, the International Finance Corporation, and the American Red Cross.
A locally elected mayor and a 13‑member council have governed the District since 1973. However, Congress maintains supreme authority over the city and may overturn local laws. D.C. residents elect a non-voting, at-large congressional delegate to the House of Representatives, but the District has no representation in the Senate. The District receives three electoral votes in presidential elections as permitted by the Twenty-third Amendment to the United States Constitution, ratified in 1961.
- "Introduction: Where Oh Where Should the Capital Be?". WHHA (in English).
- "Washington, D.C. History F.A.Q.". The Historical Society of Washington, D.C. (in en-US). 2014-05-27. Unknown parameter
- Broder, David S. (February 18, 1990). "Nation's Capital in Eclipse as Pride and Power Slip Away". The Washington Post. "In the days of the Truman Doctrine, the Marshall Plan and the creation of NATO, [Clark Clifford] said, we saved the world, and Washington became the capital of the world." Unknown parameter
- "The 10 most-visited cities in the US this year". Insider. Unknown parameter
- Cooper, Rebecca (May 9, 2017). "D.C. breaks another domestic tourism record". www.bizjournals.com. Washington Business Journal.
- "Nevada and Idaho Are the Nation’s Fastest-Growing States". US Census Bureau. 19 December 2018. Retrieved 22 January 2019.
- "Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV". U.S. Census Bureau. U.S. Department of Commerce. Retrieved April 12, 2017.
- Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named